Thursday, June 18, 2015

Introducing: Retail Essentials powered by Dynamics AX

Microsoft has released a new offering which is replacing the existing Microsoft Small-Medium Sized Business (SMB) product Dynamics Retail Management Systems (RMS) called Retail Essentials. In this new blog I just started today, I'll concentrate primarily on the Dynamics AX-based retail offerings for the SMB market.

For those that have followed me at my other Dynamics AX blog daxdude.blogspot.com, they will know that I've been tracking this in the rumor mill for a while. Anything I posted was pre-MVP status and did not breach any NDA agreements but shared anything I could get my hands on. Here is a comprehensive post on this: http://daxdude.blogspot.com/2013/02/next-gen-rms-aka-retail-smb-unveiled-by.html   Thankfully, everyone knows about it now.

The goal of this blog will be to help disseminate information about this solution while still isolating it from the larger packaging of the full Dynamics AX solution. Each blog I have will focus on a specific target audience with different licensing and different business needs.

As a first nugget of information, the licensing of the Retail Essentials product is done through a company called Retail Realm who currently does the licensing for Dynamics RMS, not Microsoft itself. The Retail Essentials software is the same code base as the AX 2102 R3 for Retail components (minus SP-based ecomm option) and contains all the needed functionality for brick and mortar tasks without the heavy back office functionality often not needed by a retailer. It is affordable and easy to implement as well. More on that later.

Some background on me not related to Dynamics AX, I'm certified in RMS 2.0 and RMS HQ and have done numerous AX projects integrating AX and RMS together. I've also implemented RMS but that was way back in '07/'08. Definitely know the RMS world well so I think I can provide some unique insights here.

I look forward to adding to this blog! Hope to see more hits on here soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment